Thursday, June 10, 2010

Why I'm NOT a "Daily Painter"

Those wonderful "daily painters," seriously, they continue to inspire me!  They vow to paint an entire (small) painting a day; that means they paint fast, they paint wet into wet and it is finished all in one session...every day.  Not my usual style.  But I love them (and their work) so I challenged myself to see what it involved.  Five days (ok, maybe 4) and I would paint my breakfast (or something) first thing in the morning.  I love breakfast so not eating til I was done would be my incentive.

Do you see a posted painting?  No.  Not today anyway.  But I am here to say I tried.  I set up my 2 beautiful homecooked (thank you husband!!) blueberry muffins, lit them perfectly, laid out a palatte, found my brushes...already I was tired.  Started painting....getting hungry...kept painting...starting to struggle....more paint...not so inspired anymore....dab, wipe, dab....the muffins were now warming under the light and the blueberries were sparkling and begging me to....still painting.  By now I am swearing under my breath and faint from hunger. 

One more swipe of paint and I literally ran to the kitchen to slather on some butter and down those muffins.  The painting?  Well, it won't win any awards but it is done and after the 10,000 hours the grasshopper says we must invest I figure I will eventually be either 20 pounds heavier or have a decent blueberry muffin painting to post.  Stay tuned to learn which option wins!!

Cindy

p.s.  so I will spend the rest of the day in the studio trying not to weep over the morning failure and enjoying the multi-media piece of two cardinals I am working on.  To see these when they are finished just visit http://www.cindymichaud.com/.

2 comments:

  1. Cute post, Cindy. Rule number one...never paint baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol is right Cindy but if you have to remember that baked goods with chunks missing are much more interesting than the plain old untouched ones.

    ReplyDelete

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...