Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tangled Webs Are Woven, 12 x 16 by Cindy Michaud


"Oh what a tangled web we weave..."
Acrylic and graphite on board, colored pencil
How many of us know the rest of the quote?
In naming my newest piece in the Tree Series this sentence came to mind as
I carefully worked on the tiniest of the branches which entertwined
one with the other.
When I asked for my husband's input on title suggestions a version
of this quote came to his mind as well.
So I officially named the piece:
"Tangled Webs Are Woven"

It signals to me that (intentionally or not) our lives are

so caught up in the lives of those around us that we tend to
get woven into their concerns and needs and sometimes it is hard to know
exactly where one branch starts and another picks up.
But as I wrote the title I figured I'd better double check on the quote that inspired it.
And it was not Mr. Shakespeare!
The entire quote goes:
"Oh the tangled webs we weave
When first we practice to deceive."
and it is attributed to
Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832)

I'm not sure these trees had any intention of practicing deception but I am going
to stick with the title as it captures the many thoughts I had while working on it.
Here's hoping that the branches of your life are all tangled up with
ones that add joy and meaning to your life.


 Framed in a black floater

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...