Thursday, August 15, 2013

Amish Country



Living in Florida is wonderful in many ways but if you grew up north of the Mason Dixon line there are certain things you miss and one of them is rolling hills, farms and big leafy trees.  I got to see all of this for a few days when I visited Lancaster, PA. 
This was my first trip to Amish country and it was lovely.  I knew about the Amish and Mennonites and of course had seen many pictures of that area of PA but I wasn't prepared for how wonderful it would feel to be immersed in the culture or how quickly you could get used to eating really good, homemade, fresh food and seeing nothing but corn for miles on end. 
The reality of living like this is far removed from spending a few idyllic days in farm country but it was great while it lasted.
I took lots of photos but there is only so many fields of corn you can paint but lets see what happens.  Here are a few photos of the trip.  I tried to get away from the corn fields but they creep up on you.






 

Donna Vines

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...