Sunday, June 28, 2015

Experimental Flowers

by Kathy Garvey

I haven't blogged in a while, but I have been busy - just not with as much artwork as I would like. Many of my fellow Pieces are authors and I'm helping one with the editing and layout of a book that I can't wait to tell everyone about - but it's still in progress!  However, I did take some time recently to convert a quick doodle in my sketchbook into a post card in Illustrator. (I had just determined that I hate my new soft cover sketchbook. So, I decided to just fill it up with whatever came out of my pen in order to use it up quickly and replace it with a hard cover sketchbook.)

I scanned the page and placed the scan in Illustrator.
This was the sketch!


Then I started drawing and filling the shapes. I used a line with three different strokes - one of them dashed - to create the checked borders.
This was what I had after about an hour and a half!

I had planned on red being part of the design all along, but it's kind of fun and easy to experiment in Illustrator so I saved to a new file and replaced the red with shades of gray. I liked that version better.
This was my final! Actually, I should never say that! I'll probably tweak it again!
Every time I use Illustrator I fall in love with it all over again. It's such fun software for creating graphics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...