Friday, May 26, 2017

Open for Business

I can't resist another painting share from Marrakech  
where I enjoyed the vibrant colors as well as the cultural
differences.  Outside the Medina (the old city) stores looked
very European, but it was the shops inside the walls that
caught my painter's eye.


I had plenty of time waiting in airports to play with some sketches and was anxious to try them out first in watercolor when I got home.  This was a daily scene on the way back to our riad and I loved that the weavings exposure to the elements seemed not to bother anyone (except maybe me).


I then took a 12 x 9 canvas and laid down a first pass keeping the paint very thin and drip-y.  I wanted to see if the drips left to dry added something of interest to this vignette.  I played around with the walls and shadows for quite a bit...I think I was anxious to get into the colors and patterns but afraid I would abandon the hard work around them if I jumped in too soon. Like waiting for desert.


I decided to preserve most of the drips, there was no other way to let you know that the street was pitted and uneven without distracting from the blankets.  And I wanted you to be more intrigued by the shadow of the person coming down the street than interested in the road.

When I finally did get into the weavings I enjoyed them like a bowl of ice cream, slowly working my way around the light and shadow and trying to get just enough suggestive pattern that you would know they were all unique.


"Open for Business," 12 x 9, oil on canvas
available

I like this piece.  I like the lines and minimal composition as well as the limited color.  I think it also
captures a feel for shopping outside the darker souks.  I was sorry to be done when I finished.

If you have been to this fascinating city and are interested in the art send me an e-mail (art@cindymichaud.com) as I will soon deliver them to the Crossnore Fine Arts Gallery, in Crossnore, NC.  

Traveling in Living COLOR,
Cindy
www.cindymichaud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...