Saturday, September 30, 2017

Pieces of 8 Challenge #6 - Nourish

Our challenge this month is "Nourish".   Enjoy!


This painting nourishes my soul.



Poured Paint with metallics
6x8"
Carol Schiff
www.CarolSchiffStudio.etsy.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always think of nature in the context of "nourish" for so many reasons.  In addition to the fact that the nature does an amazing job of providing nourishment to the animals, plants and humans that live here, just being outdoors does a lot to re-nourish people emotionally.  So for "nourish" I painted the start of one of my favorite hikes up to Rich Mountain in western NC.



The Golden Hour
17 x 11, oil on canvas, framed
art@cindymichaud.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little nourishment for the body and the soul.  I was in a pure color frame of mind so I decided to pay homage to one of my favorites, Cezanne, a master of color.


Pears ala Cezanne

Donnavinesart.Etsy.com
Donnavinesart.blogspot.com


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Most everyone in my home town made a living from the citrus industry, including my grandmother. Oranges and blossoms not only nourished everyone in the obvious way, but also provided a means of supporting their families.

Orange Blossoms, 6x8

Carmensart.etsy.com
Carmenbeecher.blogspot.com
Carmenbeecher.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find that going for a walk with my camera nourishes my creativity. Sometimes I'll find something I've never noticed before like this simple little flower growing profusely in the drainage ditches near my house. I picked a few and took several photos. I looked it up when I got home and found it's called "rhexia."  By studying the photos and the plant itself I was able to build the colors and the plant parts in Adobe Illustrator. By making each item a symbol, I can then just drag the items where I want them to try to create an image I like. I'm still struggling with making something out of this one because I'm not crazy about the color combination - red and green with purple! But when I need inspiration, a walk is what works for me and my camera makes me really focus. (Click on an image to enlarge it.)


Studies of Rhexia
by Kathy Garvey

--------------------------------------------------------

Pears Florentine
Paper Collage
7 x 9


Pears have always been my favorite fruit. I love their taste, their shape and their color. I even delight in saying the French word poire,which is the perfect sound for them. Cindy Michaud's extensive collection of what I call pear portraits was my inspiration for this work. 
The collage is made from my collection of Florentine wrapping papers from a tiny, well hidden but well stocked paper store in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Florence. 

Fay Picardi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballard Park, Original Oil on Canvas

  I had not painted outside in two years, so this was quite a challenge. It was one of those paintings I had to improve upon in the studio. ...